I met with a caterer on 27 July 99 to discuss options for a wedding for 31 Oct 99. Once we discussed options she insisted on a down payment of 'half' in order to reserve the date. I gave her a check for $3,000.00 in which she cashed within fifteen minutes after writing it. I talked to her the next day on the phone with concerns of changing options we went over and that I was still unsure about many details. She assured me that we would work things out after returning from vacation in a couple of weeks. On 17 August 99, I notified Dakota's catering that I was cancelling our agreement. I sent this and all letters ceritified, return receipt requested (which I paid additional for).
One month later after no reply or communication from the company, I sent another certified letter. Again, I was working with them to get my deposit returned. I placed many many phone calls that went unreturned. I finally received a certified letter from her on 12 Oct 99. It stated verbatium "I stated my willingness to return all of your deposit if you would sent me confirmation from your Doctor in writing, . . . . " Although unnecessary, I provided them with a doctors note for their files. Still no response from the company. The day I received the doctors note I called to ask if I could deliver it in exchange for my monies. I was called back the next day stating that it would have to be given to the bookkeeper and he would have to cut the check so it would be better if I would just mail it. So I did, certified.
On 17 Oct 99, I sent another certified letter, this time again asking for the monies, attaching the doctors letter AND now asking for an additional $12.00 for postal expenses that it is costing me to communicate with them. In the interim I still left messages that went unreturned.
I finally got ahold, via phone, the individual I met with on 27 July 99. We talked on 28 Nov 99. She said that she would call me back the next day and didn't. I called her two days later and she decided to get nasty with me and hung up. Immediately, my husband called her to try and straighten things out. She told him that she would fax a copy of the signed contract to him the following day from her Maryland office because her fax machine at her Virginia office was not working. After much research we are finding that a Maryland office is not registered as official. He waited two days and called her back. He left a message stating that he still had not received her fax. A few days later he called again. We have heard nothing from this company since. I refuse to call her again to be hung up on. This is very piss poor business practices.
I decided to give one last try. I certified her another letter as well as the Better Business Bureau, Virginia Consumers Affairs Office and the Chamber of Commerce, in which she is registered with. All three agencies AND she (the company) were notified of the above situation in detail. We have not been able to resolve the matter via any of the above methods. I am now seeking a higher entity in order to rectify this situation. BUT, now I will be seeking ANY and ALL additional monies that it will cost me in order to put this issue to closure. This now includes interest on the monies that my mother would have accrued had she had left the money there to begin with.
I have tried many countless time to talk to Dakota's Catering. I have been as nice, professional and as understanding as I can be. She put in writing that my monies would be returned. I have had NO contact or correspondence from them with any concerns that I was not entitled to my monies being returned. I gave ample cancellation notification to them (2/3 months). I have copies of EVERYTHING, letters, receipts, etc. I now am being forced to persue legal means and this really should not have come to this. Absolutely riduculous!
Stay tuned for additional details as the saga unfolds . . . . . .