• Report:  #3344

Complaint Review: Sharp - Nationwide

Reported By:
- middle village, ny,
Thu, September 14, 2000

Nationwide, U.S.A.
Tell us has your experience with this business or person been good? What's this?
I purchased a Sharp Microwave 7 years ago. A good size one,with the Auto turn on setting. 800 watts

I never cooked much in it except for potatos, or veg.

I mostly reheated leftovers in it. It was not used very often.

I put potatos in it (4 or 5) set it for 15 min. and left the room. Thank God I came back down stairs when I did( this was only after 3 or 4 min.) For each potato it should be about that much time.The micro was on fire. The black smoke billowing out the back and the front was Horrific. First I pulled the plug out. But it continued to smoke heavily. My kitchen cabinet was black, my counter top burned. My daughter and I picked it up and brought it out to the yard, but while doing so we were choking from the smoke and chemical fumes. I knew we had to remove it from the house or I would have had a fire in the kitchen.

The Glass plate inside broke from the fire and the tripod rotating turntable melted completely. The potatos were like black chips at this point and the inside of the microwave was black. The smell was in the house for a week.

I phoned Sharp, customer relations, and was told that an Authorized Service Dealer in my area would pick it up and check it out as to why this happened. I told them I did not want it fixed. I would not use this equipment again. I was too afraid.

They said they wanted to know what caused this. Well they inspected it, after It was left in my Yard for 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks or more I was told that the reason for this was that the vents were clogged on the inside (where there is a little square that can be removed to be cleaned)with grease.

First off, I never knew you could take this off, secondly it does say to do so in the booklet. And third, I was told there was black soot and grease in the inside of the microwave, and this is what probably Caused the Fire. Fourth, that there was Dust in the outside vents. I tried to tell them that this was from it sitting in the yard for 3 weeks, while I waited for an answer from them as to what they were going to do. And the black soot and grease inside the microwave was FROM the Fire and not there before. The greased clogged inside this vent that is covered up, was from the fire.And besides, there was practically nothing there. I have a brand new kitchen and can assure you that it is not full of grease as was suggested. They would not listen and refused to do anything for me regarding this matter.

I realize the microwave was 7 yrs. old, but it had been in excellent condition until this insident. And besides I don't think even though it is 7 yrs. old it should go on Fire for any reason.

I wonder how many of these Authorized Serviced Dealers are going to find the fault lies with the Customer since they are getting paid by Sharp? So what can a consumer do in a case like this?

Absolutely nothing. So all I can do now is let everyone know every way I can that they should not purchase any products made by Sharp. They won't stand behind there product.

If you know of anyone that this has happened to please e-mail me

thank you,


Featured Reports
Reports & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
Also a victim?
Repair Your Reputation!