I recently purchased a mattress and while doing to told the salesman how unhappy I was with the furniture I purchased two years ago because it is soiled and I had had it fabric protected.
He reminded me that the fabric protection has a three year warranty (attached). So... 1) I called customer service and set up an appointment with instructions to call me at work so I could meet them at my house. I never received a confirmation call two days prior, like I was told I would, but the man did show up at my house, without calling me at work and of course I wasnt there and missed him. This same thing happened 3 more times and finally.......
2) He showed up and told me he could not clean the furniture - it needed to be professionally cleaned.
3) I called Customer Service and was told that it would take 7-10 days to get back the techs notes and RTG would call me.
4) After 21 days I called and was told they did not have the techs notes. I stated it had been 21 days. She said, Oh, yes here they are. I told her that my warranty stated that RTG would now professionally clean and retreat my furniture and she said no they would not. I stated that my warranty states. 1. Have the stained area professionally cleaned, and surfaces re-treated by an authorized technician at NO COST to the original owner. She stated that she would send someone out on Jan 6 to professionally clean and retreat my furniture.
5) On January 6 the SAME technician came, said he could not clean the furniture as he does not do professional cleaning. He stated that my furniture needed to be professionally cleaned. When the notes came back to customer service, I called and was told to go ahead and have the furniture professionally cleaned and send in the bill. When I asked how I would be reimbursed for the professional cleaning I was told that I would have to pay for the cleaning myself. When I explained that my warranty states 1. Have then stained area professionally cleaned, and surfaces retreated by an authorized technician at no cost to the orignal owner. She stated that that is not policy and I would have to have the furniture cleaned at my expense.
6) On Friday 1/14/00 I received a call from Francis Hagan who told me I was not the original owner and that I would have to have the furniture professionally cleaned and that I would not need to send in the bill, only show a copy to the tech of the bill when he came to inspect and/or retreat the furniture.
7) On Monday 1/17/00 I received a call from Jennifer who told me that I was the original owner and that the warranty did not state, Have the stained area professionally cleaned, and surfaces re-treated by an authorized technician at NO COST to the original owner. When I told her I was looking at the warranty in my hand she said that that is not what is stated! When I asked if my warranty DID read as I was saying it did - Does RTG have authorized technicians that do professional cleaning. And she stated NO. I give up!
I called a professional cleaner. Jennifer set up an appointment for a technician to come inspect or retreat my furniture (depending on how the professional cleaning goes) for Friday 1/21/00. I faxed Jennifer a copy of my warranty, as she advised me to do, on 1/18/00 and asked her why if the warranty stated that I did not have to pay to have the furniture professionally cleaned and retreated by an authorized technician - why was I being asked to do so? NO response.
8) On January 21 the technician came and without even inspecting the furniture started to retreat it. When I asked why he was sent he stated, to retreat the furniture. I told him that I was told he would inspect the furniture first before deciding whether or not it should be retreated. He said that he didnt know anything about that.
I asked him to look at the condition of the furniture and tell me whether or not it should be retreated. He looked at it and stated that it was still stained pretty badly and that if he treated it, the stains would never have a chance of coming out, but be set in. He then asked me IF I wanted him to treat it. I expressed the notion that he was the professional and that he should be telling me what to do. After some deliberation, he did not treat the furniture. I showed him the reciept for the professional cleaner just as Francis Hagan told me to do. I sent a letter to the President of the company.
9) On January 20, I received a call from Lisa Smith. She left two numbers one for that day and one for the next. I called on January 21 and asked for her and was asked to hold. After holding for 10 minutes, I hung up and called back - asked that if she wasnt readily available to please give her a message to call me. She did not call that day. I called back 1/24 and 1/26 and heard nothing.
10) I called customer service 10 days after the tech visit so the tech notes must be in. I was told that I needed to have the furniture professionally cleaned because the tech notes stated the furniture was not professionally cleaned!!!!!!!!!!! I asked for a supervisor and NONE were in. I called Lisa Smith. I was told Lisa WOULD get back to me by the end of the day. Remember this was my FOURTH call to Lisa - with no return call!!!! (Time of call 10:30 am). Called again at 3:40 and told she was on another line but she would get back to me sometime today or Monday!
11) I faxed a scathing letter to the President of the company and received a call the following Tuesday telling me I could get my furniture replaced. HA HA - I only wanted it professionally cleaned at no cost.
What a scam to sell a product with a warranty which you have no intentions of honoring! Dont shop at Room-to-Go because there is NO service after the sale!
Kalamazoo, GeorgiaClick here to read other Rip-off Reports on Rooms To GO